Frequently, people say that there’s no such thing as a free lunch. This is particularly relevant when it comes to the MyFlixer website, which provides access to a plethora of free movies and TV shows.
However, appearances can be deceiving, and there are several reasons why caution is warranted when using MyFlixer. In this piece, we’ll delve into what MyFlixer entails, its safety aspects, and what it signifies for you and your Mac.
What is MyFlixer?
MyFlixer is a free website for streaming and downloading movies and TV shows, but it’s predominantly comprised of pirated content, unlike legitimate services such as Freevee.
By using MyFlixer, you may be violating copyright laws and exposing yourself and your Mac to potential harm.
MyFlixer is blocked in many countries, but it has several mirror or proxy sites that function in the same way. This guide applies to all of them.
Is MyFlixer harmful?
Illegal download websites, like MyFlixer, can pose a significant risk to your computer. Although MyFlixer claims to be virus-free, it’s impossible to verify.
Additionally, MyFlixer sites may use questionable ad networks, which can cause various issues on your Mac.
MyFlixer and its rogue ads can cause problems such as pop-ups for push notifications, prompting the installation of unsafe Android apps, fake virus warnings, malware, browser hijackers, and data theft.
In summary, MyFlixer is not trustworthy and can serve as a gateway for hackers and data thieves.
A Mac’s guide to getting rid of the MyFlixer virus
MyFlixer is often referred to as a virus, but it’s more appropriately categorized as riskware. Installing browser extensions from MyFlixer sites can lead to problems such as unwanted ads, browser redirects, and data theft.
To remove these extensions from your browser, follow these steps. (Note: The extensions depicted in this example are for demonstration purposes only and are not affiliated with MyFlixer.)
How to remove extensions from Safari?
To remove a Safari extension, follow these steps:
- Open Safari on your Mac.
- Click on the Safari menu in the top left corner of your screen.
- Select “Settings” from the dropdown menu.
- Click on the “Extensions” tab at the top of the Settings window. Find the extension you want to remove and click on it. Click on the “Uninstall” button.
- When prompted, click “Uninstall” again to confirm that you want to remove the extension.
- The extension will be removed from Safari.
Note: Some extensions may require you to quit Safari and/or restart your computer to complete the removal process.
How to remove extensions from Safari?
To remove extensions from Chrome, follow these steps:
- Open Google Chrome on your MAC.
- Click on the Chrome and select settings.
- Select “More tools” from the dropdown menu.
- Click on “Extensions.”
- Find the extension you want to remove and click on the “Remove” button next to it.
6. When prompted, click “Remove” again to confirm that you want to remove the extension.
- The extension will be removed from Chrome.
Note: Some extensions may require you to restart Chrome to complete the removal process.
How to prevent malware such as MyFlixer from getting in
To prevent malware like MyFlixer from infecting your Mac, it’s best to avoid the site altogether. Here are some additional measures you can take to keep your Mac safe:
- Stick to legal streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney Plus.
- Use a real-time antivirus like MacKeeper to keep your system free of viruses and perform regular scans on your computer. Refer to our guide on how to scan Mac for viruses for more information.
- Utilize MacKeeper’s Adware cleaner and StopAd features to eliminate unwanted ads and prevent trackers from following you while browsing.
- Refrain from clicking on pop-up ads, especially those claiming your Mac is infected.
- Only allow sites you trust to send you notifications.
- Do not provide your email address to sites you do not fully trust, and avoid reusing passwords.
- Do not install plugins on your computer to watch content on sites like MyFlixer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is MyFlixer illegal?
Yes. Free legal movie and TV streaming sites exist but don’t offer the most current content like MyFlixer. Due to the pirated nature of the content, MyFlixer can do that without paying any money to the copyright holders.
Is MyFlixer a virus?
In technical terms, it isn’t. In addition to MyFlixer, there are many mirror sites, and any one of them may contain viruses, browser hijackers, malicious advertising, and web trackers.
Does MyFixer hack you?
Possibly. It’s important to remember that you need to know who runs MyFlixer or what their intentions are. Some of these websites only make money from advertising, while others may be stealing your personal information.
Are all Mac models affected?
Yes. Regardless of the model you have. MyFlixer can bring malware to all of them.